Divorce and relationship breakdown is a really tough thing to go through – one of the top 3 most stressful life events according to many surveys. But there are ways to ease that stress.
We’ve put together a roundup of top tips for an amicable divorce.
- Try to focus on and keep in mind why you married your spouse, rather than why your marriage has ended. The more respect and positivity you have towards your ex, the better.
- Unless there is a history of abuse, try to keep an open dialogue with your spouse and resist the temptation to hide behind your lawyer. Where possible, have those tricky conversations with your ex too but only if you can be calm and respectful when doing so – use a mediator if you are worried that conversations won’t be constructive.
- If you have children together, remember that whilst your marriage might be coming to an end, divorce does not mean the end of your family, it’s just a restructuring. Your ex will still be the parent of your children and therefore always a part of your life.
- Remember that divorce isn’t about winning or losing – when you take one household and divide into two, life’s going to be different for you both and you’re both going to have to compromise.
- The golden rule – don’t drink and text/Whatsapp/post on social media!